Friday 15 August 2014

100 Days Under Siege: Where are all the workers?

Member messages:

I believe that workers have a right to strike, but where are they?
SAIL has about 30 workers, yet only about 11 have ever been seen on the picket line. More recently, that number has dropped to 6-8 workers. I think we've seen more Union paid supporters than actual SAIL employees!  This makes me wonder just how important this job dispute really is to the workers.
If I believed in what I am striking for, then I would make sure I was on the line. I would also expect my fellow workers to be on the line, too. If they weren't, I'd be very upset with them if we got what we demanded and they benefited from my labours just because we are in the same union.
So again I ask: "Where are the workers?"  Where are the 30 employees who so adamantly and aggressively believe they should be paid 20% more plus benefits plus shift differential, etc.   Why is the majority allowing the minority to do all the "dirty work"?
I guess it's like most things, where 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment