Friday 15 August 2014

100 Days Under Siege: targeted blocking, part 2

Video files posted in order of upload date.



Member statement accompanying this video.

This morning I drove my older daughter to work just before 5:30am to avoid the picketers (her shift started at 7am).  I got back at around 6:35.
As I drove down the street, the picketers saw me coming and immediately started to gather to block me.  One had his camera out to record everything, security came out and started to record and I have my dashboard holder for my phone to record.
For the first part, they were completely quiet and generally ignored me, other than the guy recording me.  They were on the sidewalk, which meant I was blocking the street.  This prevented an ETS van from getting past me after loading a passenger.  They backed off into the parking lot, well beyond the 4 ft easement, expecting me to move forward.  I was unwilling to go closer to them, as I have previously seen them leap in front of a vehicle in an attempt to get hit.  They jeered and mocked me, while claiming I was blocking the road.  When I pointed out that they were blocking me, they claimed they were not blocking me, and that I could move forward.  I told them I did not want to go any closer to them, as I did not trust them.  I finally did move forward after a security guard indicated it was alright to do so.  Eventually, they did let me through, however I had difficulty getting into my parking spot because I was unable to enter the parking lot properly.
What I had not seen until then was my husband coming over.  I was prepared to give him a ride to work, but because the picketers would likely block us again, my husband said no and walked to work, instead.  It should be noted that it was chilly and beginning to rain, and his office is on [___]  Though this walk is painful for his injuries, it’s still preferable to being thrown around on a bus.
I later learned that, as I was attempting to park, the picketers jeered at me for having to back in and out of my spot.
I just had to pause in writing this, to help my husband put on his TENS to treat his back pain and muscle spasms.
Later, at about 9:45am, I heard the sounds of a fake police siren.  Looking out the window, I saw a man (D___? The man who set up his chair to peep into the lobby and front windows of the high rise) walking with a bullhorn, from which the fake police siren was coming from.  Security staff came out and the man briefly shouted something into the megaphone, and then handed it over to a woman.  She played the fake police siren sound again for a while.  When she stopped, I could hear another female voice telling her to keep it up.  Thankfully, she did not.  There was more shouting and activity, but I left the window.  While I don’t hear much when I am in the south side of our unit, my younger daughter’s bedroom window faces the street and she found all of this quite disturbing.  As I have mentioned in a previous statement, my daughter is home schooled, and these disturbances make it difficult for her to maintain her routine.



No comments:

Post a Comment