Thursday 4 September 2014

Another open letter to the SAIL staff picketing at Artspace.

This was sent in by an Artspace member who is not a SAIL user.



So I am going to ask something of you...

...to think.

........... to think for yourself, as this is important.

I wonder how many staff really want to return and do the hard work that will be the nature of a return to work after this long dispute. I wonder about motivation to return and do not only a good job but a great job that you can be proud of. I wonder what you believe and what motivates you.
I am not sure how many of our staff are people of faith/belief, attend church, or participate in a organised religion. I am a person who is nurturing a spiritual soul. I pray. I pray to God and ask Him to help us find a way through this. That thought led me to wonder what you, the staff, may be praying for.

If it is the same stuff we have been hearing all along, I would guess you are praying for money, benefits, an easy job, or get whatever you can out of this situation. It is only a guess - and I hope it is wrong.
But, for a moment, reflect on what you do pray for.
Pretty selfish, if praying for only yourself and what you can get.
Praying for what you feel entitled to. 
Praying for what the union told you that you are entitled to. The prayers that motivate you to come to the picket line, and that guides your behaviour.
My second, third and fourth prayers are:

• for the health and safety for all of the members in my co-op community,

• for strength, courage and knowledge for the leaders in my co-op community, and

• I ask God to wrap His arms around those who are hurting today and let them feel how much He loves them.
I am on disability and live on a very low income. I do not ask God for more money. I know I have enough. Just enough, but enough all the same. I thank God that I have a pillow to lay my head on. I am thankful that I can manage through an Alberta winter and an Alberta summer. I am grateful that I live in Canada. Not having that constant inner nagging voice saying you need the new phone, new computer, new car, new clothes - no; I chose not to hear that anymore. I have enough. So I don't have a constant, selfish, relentless urge to make more and more money - so much to the point that other values, beliefs, and personal truths are lost and forgotten.
I believe in a compassionate, loving God who does hear our prayers and loves us anyways. I know He hears our tears and our tears speak volumes. I know he is proud when we live an authentic life - a life lived intentionally to see the good in the world and be the good in this world.
So I am going to ask, again, something of you...

...to think.

......to think for yourself.

............to pray together for our community to grow, learn, thrive and be content - everyone.



For those who would like, please join me in the two following prayers:

May We Be Grateful
We are blessed today, with enough to eat,
May we be grateful.
We are blessed with clothes to wear,
May we be grateful.
We are blessed with shelter from the elements,
May we be grateful.
We are very well blessed today.
May we remember that there are many people
who do not have these blessings.
May we be grateful enough
to help others when we can.


"May God give you perspective on things that frustrate you. 
May your heart of compassion grow for those who suffer in unimaginable ways.

May you pray as passionately for them as you do yourself.

May God protect you from a small, selfish mindset.

May He fill you up with thanksgiving and joy for the freedoms you enjoy!

May He renew your resolve to be a grateful, humble soul.

And may He use you tomorrow in ways that surprise and bless you."

No comments:

Post a Comment